Google+ Nine Red: Downstairs Bathroom Details

Thursday, February 6, 2014

Downstairs Bathroom Details

We're done. We're done! The downstairs bathroom is done, and I'm just waiting for the right time to take the tour pics. Bear with me, it's hard to get good light down there. We wrapped up the finishing touches, which was all about trimming. This was our first time with crown molding, and WOW - what a learning curve! I thought it would be pretty simple, you know - corners are 45 degrees, duh.  What I didn't expect was the corner moldings shape when you buy it.  It's not a full corner, it's kind of.. empty behind it once you put it up. If that makes sense. And it threw me for a two hour loop of flashbacks to geometry.  We finally got it figured out, in a very primitive way - I had to pretend the base of the saw was the "wall", and the back of the saw was the "ceiling". It was the only way I could conquer all these angles.  For the rest of you, until I master this technique - I won't even try to explain - here is a fantastic tutorial from Sawdust Girl, that I totally should have studied before I started. Ha!

Picture time.
This is a picture of what I was doing wrong. Can you see the problem? Now that we're done, I totally understand what was going on. Before, it was a mystery.

Here's the room without the crown, it's very.. unfinished looking.
We peeled back our rope trim & got to work (should have waited on the rope trim until AFTER all the crown, no biggie)
We tested each piece in it's place to make sure it was a fit, and then used our new nail gun to throw in some brad nails. We used this nail gun because it was affordable, and it totally did the job. Nail guns, are my new favorite tool. Why did I not try these sooner?!


It all went up pretty easy, then we wanted to fill in the tiny gaps.  We used Wood Filler to fill in the nail holes and cracks, but I've heard a lot of people use paintable caulk, especially on uneven walls like ours.

After the wood filler dries you can paint, and then that's it. The crown really adds a finished touch, and since it was getting dark ALL my photos are night shots. That's winter for you... dark! Oh well - stay tuned for cute daytime shots soon. Sowwy.

Did a little hot glue action for the rope trim, like we did in the Entryway Command Center post.



One last little detail was bothering me, the inside trim on this light fixture:
 This rope I found at Beverly's was the perfect touch, and easy to add while the glue gun was out.



Ok done.  With the final details taken care of, we can wrap up this bathroom. That took way longer than originally planned, but I absolutely love how it came out, and that's the most important part.  So if you're struggling with a project that was supposed to be short, just keep on truckin'. It's worth it.

-Jesse


Leftover things to do in the bathroom:

Linkies: FacebookPinterestInstagramTwitterSubscribe & of course, Email me.

Post a Comment

1 comment:

  1. I LOVE IT!!! i can't wait to see the last set of photos!!!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Shareaholic